Friday, November 25, 2011

A Small Family Thanksgiving Spent Together

  I know that most people get together with parents, aunts and uncles, brothers and sister, grandparents or maybe just friends. We had been doing that for years. Mostly with my husbands family. My family does not do a whole lot together. At times it was at one of their houses and a few times we hosted it at ours. When it was at ours, my nerves would get flustered, I would be stressed out for days and I would spend to much money and time trying to make everything perfect-and NO don't even think about trying to help! If someone were to have to help, then I would be admitting I could not do it all and that would be defeat on my part.
   Since then I have mellowed out more than I ever thought I could. We try to get together with his parents the day before or something, but we have spent the last couple of years at home with just our kids. I have to admit, I love it that way. We have turned Thanksgiving into not only a family experience but also a learning one.




                                                            Hadassah is always front and center
This year we made the pumpkin pies a couple of days early and stored them in the fridge.

                                                Gala loves helping out with measuring.





                                              Alyssa won 1st place in 4-H for cooking so she is a big help!
 Because we had to visit Jamie's parents the day before Thanksgiving we went ahead with making the mashed potato's early as well.

                                             Blixon had the pleasure of pealing and cutting the potato's
.


                                                  Haven and Jakob had to assist in the mixer fun.
Jakob kind of had his hands in a little bit of everything really. I think he likes it that way. Thanksgiving day we all slept in and decided it was official comfy clothes day, which believe it or not is a rarity in our house. The kids begged dad to hang some CHRISTmas lights because he was actually home for the whole day and it wasn't to bad weather wise.
            Haven was not helping dad so much as helping me inside with the baby while I got dinner finished up. Not to mention she is afraid of heights and yes this is our roof and yes that is our 2yr old up there. When it comes to those kinds of things, I close my eyes and turn my head and trust that Jamie will keep my children alive ;-) They got a lot accomplished before dinner. Alyssa came in and she and Haven and Gala helped with the table while dad and Jakob hung a couple of more strands. Then...
                                                            Thanksgiving Dinner Time!
                                                        Nothing to elaborate, just the usual.
         We all sat down together, took turns thanking God for what He has blessed us with and enjoyed a wonderful dinner, together as a family. I almost wish everyday could be Thanksgiving, but I'm sure my body would not thank me so much as I put on the pounds. But it really is something to be thankful for. A Dinner prepared by the whole family, Time spent with one another, And our family in and of itself, not to mention all of the other things I could go on and on about. I only hope that every year can be so wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment