Thursday, August 23, 2012

What Kind of Person Are You, Do You Do The 3 R's?

  What kind of person are you? Are you the kind of person who tosses the candy wrapper out the window? Are you one of those people who throws their whole McDonald's bag in my yard? When they ask, paper or plastic, are you thinking which could be recycled easier or do you just throw them away when you get home?
   I grew up in a small city. No they did not have recycle pick up when I was growing up. We were not  recycling family. But now that I am an adult, I know the importance of the 3 R's
             
After all it was just getting popular when I was a kid, at least in our area.
 Yes it is difficult loading up the recycle bins in the back of my van, and yes there are times when I slack at this. Yes I know the bagger at the end of the counter thinks it is a pain to load my groceries into my recycled grocery bags ( I love whole foods bags, they are very sturdy and at a great price to). Yes I know it could be brighter in my house if I had the lights on all day.
(our fan may be on, but our a/c is off and so are the lights)                                                
Yes I know my kids would rather have brand new name brand cloths rather then hand me downs or thrift store seconds.
                      (my old cloths & daddy's often are worn as night cloths for the kids)                           
Yes I know I do not like washing dishes and nor do my children.  But you know, we all will survive. We can do without some of the modern day conveniences.
   Because let me tell you, I hate seeing trash in my yard, or even just on the side of the road. I know my electric bill is going to be just a bit smaller, when I don't have all of the electronics plugged in and turned on. I know that I don't have to fill my trash can up with plastic bags that estimated to take 500 years to decompose. I know that paper plates and bowls are very convenient, especially with a large family. I will not say I do not ever use them, however you will not see a paper plate being used at our dinner table that's for sure!
(no dishwasher, so it makes it more of a chore, but it is worth it)
                 
And when my kids grow up and realize you can buy twice as much (or save) if not more when you buy used, well I know I don't mind wearing thrift store buys, and I am certain they will not either. And don't get me started on disposable diapers. We LOVE our Fluff (cloth diapers)!
  I am not one of those people who picket plastic makers or trash pick up services or anything. I just know that we need to do something here. I mean when we have the choice of land filling up our beautiful USA or paying India to have our trash shipped over to their country, well there is something wrong with that picture. I know that that cute little WALL E movie is just a cartoon movie, however I see that as a big possibility someday. If we keep land filling up our world, someday we may not have a land to live in.                                
 
  So before you toss a candy wrapper out the window, or fill up that trash can full of recyclables, or run to the mall for a new pair of cleats the kids are only gong to wear for a couple of months, remember, you may not see the damage you are creating but I bet your children will someday and so will their children and their children's children.

No comments:

Post a Comment